Sunday, 16 February 2014

Birthdays and Bucketlists

Bucket List Item #53 - Go On A Winery Tour - CHECK!

As many of you already know, today is my 26th Birthday and tomorrow I'll be going in for surgery. I figured that my birthday was the perfect time to tick an item off my bucket list! I'm also very lucky to share my birthday with my good friend Mara so we decided to celebrate our birthday by going on a winery tour around the Yarra Valley. 

We had a mini bus pick us up in the city early in the morning and drove us down to the Yarra Valley with 7 stops total. It was a great day with stops at several wineries for wine tastings, along with a stop at a cheese factory, a brewery and my favourite, a chocolate and icecream factory! The day was filled with tasting great wine and food along with seeing some beautiful scenery. Our good friend Kristy also came along for the day. We all enjoyed the day and I managed to tick an item off my bucket list!!

After the last stop of the day and a giant cup of ice cream, I could barely sit up so a rest in the grass was essential
Ok wine.. if you say so
 Saturday Night
Our birthday celebrations continued on into the night when we met all of our friends for a few drinks. Little did we know, the place we'd decided to have drinks had actually been hired out for a wedding.. And yes we did accidentally crash the wedding to begin with. Luckily there was another spot around the side of the venue so we didn't have to organised something else on the spot. 

Overall, it was one of the better birthdays I'd had and I even managed to make it home before midnight!

Thanks to all of my friends who helped me celebrate (sorry if you're not in any of the below pics.. there were so many of you it was hard to choose). 





And the celebrations continue...
Today marks my actual birthday and the last day I can consume food before my surgery.. Technically I was meant to have a light breakfast and that's about it, other than some drinks I have to have pre-op. But I asked if they could make an exception given that it's my birthday and the doctors allowed me to go out and have a nice breakfast (thanks Dad) and some cake which my housemates kindly slaved away in the kitchen yesterday making while I was out tasting the fine wines of the Yarra Valley! I must admit, they did a pretty good job. So my cake was the final meal I'm allowed to have before surgery.. It's fair to say at the moment I don't even want to look at food.



100 Things Discovery Night
Thursday night I was lucky enough to be able to perform at the 100 Things Discovery Night. It’s been a while since I sang in front of a crowd so I was a little nervous but managed to get through our half hour set and really enjoyed being in front of a crowd again. I also got some good feedback at the end of the night which is always a bonus!
That was only the start of what turned out to be an amazing and inspiring night. Seb’s story of his journey of ticking off 100 things on his bucket list really re-confirmed by belief that the point of life is to be happy and that I need to go and do all of the things I want to do. For a long time I've struggled with the ideal that society places on us to get a good job, buy a house, settle down etc.. Not that these are bad things to aim for and everyone is different but since finishing uni I’m still yet to feel ready for a commitment such as buying a house. So it was great to hear the stories of someone who went and traveled the world and did things, not to make money or to feel financially secure and “successful”, but to make him happy. For anyone who hasn't already, I strongly recommend checking out Seb’s website 100things.com.au and reading his book if you get a chance.
My friend Kristy and I with Seb

Making Headlines
A couple of weeks ago, a girl named Jodie from the Examiner (Launceston's local paper) asked if she could write an article on me. I agreed and thought it'd probably be a tiny piece in the middle of the paper somewhere that nobody would really see anyway. I was extremely surprised to find today that my story had made the front page of the paper! I should have had "make the front page of a newspaper" on my bucket list!

I've received a lot of kind messages from so many people so it is truly appreciated and I honestly couldn't have predicted the amount of attention my story has received. Jodie did a great job on writing the article after a very inexperienced interviewee (me) struggled to know what to say to many of the questions. Here is the link below to The Examiner article. 

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2090988/kates-cancer-sacrifice/?cs=95

Thanks again for reading everyone and for all of your kind wishes. I'll touch base again after my surgery! :)


8 comments:

  1. This looks so awesome! Post some of your music! Thinking about you and your family as you go (went) into surgery today... or for me, yesterday. Graces, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve :) I can't remember which post it was but I did upload a singing video a few weeks ago! I'll have to hunt it down for you. Thanks so much everything has gone really well and I'm starting to feel like i'm on the road to recovery. Started on liquids yesterday and they've upgraded me to nutritional drinks today so will put up a post on how everything's going once I'm home :) hope you're going well in the lead up to your surgery

      Delete
  2. Kate-- hope you are faring well after surgery. Looking forward to updates and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel! It's been a long week but things have picked up a lot today and I'm starting to feel a lot better. Will definitely have a post up over the next few days once i get to go home. Hope everything is going well with you

      Delete
  3. You are in my thoughts too, wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you as your recover from your surgery. I'm also looking forward to some updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) will have a update up over the next few days after I'm home from the hospital.

      Delete