Monday, 10 February 2014

Kristy & Joe's Walk to End Women's Cancers

The 2014 Weekend to End Women's Cancers

As most of you would now know, I'm booked in to have a total gastrechtomy (total surgical removal of my stomach) on Monday next week. 

Over the past few months, since finding out my results, all of my friends have been nothing but supportive. I really couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. 

My good friends Kristy and Joe have decided to go that extra mile and participate in a 2 day, 60 km walk (yes that is correct.. 60 km!!) around Melbourne over the first weekend in March; raising a considerable amount of money in the process. All proceeds go towards the Peter Macallum Cancer Centre which is where I'll be having my surgery next week. Combined, they must raise a total of $4,000 ($2,000 each) to be able to participate. They are currently sitting at $1,740 so still have a bit to go in only a few short weeks. 

Kristy and Joe guessed (and rightly so) that I would love to be involved in the event but that it'd be likely I wouldn't be able to participate given the timing. It really means a lot to me that they've essentially decided to participate on my behalf. 

I'd hate to see them not be able to reach their target and therefore not be able to participate in the walk so this is my way of trying to help them raise awareness for their cause and hopefully help to boost their donations a little.  

If anyone has any spare $$$ lying around (I know how rare this is, trust me), the smallest donation will help Kristy and Joe in reaching their target. Every $1 counts so if you're able to, please support my friends with their amazing effort and contribution to putting a stop to a terrible disease. 





2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kate!

    Best wishes for tomorrow. Very inspiring blog. My Dad had stomach cancer - very insidious.

    regards
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, I'm sorry to hear about your dad but thanks for reading and for the message :) much appreciated. Kate

      Delete