Wednesday, 5 February 2014

The Countdown Is On...

Surgery Date

I had an appointment with my surgeon today with the expectation of hopefully locking away a date.. I didn't expect that date to be only 12 days away!! It was a little bit of a shock when he said he could get me in on the 17th of Feb (the day after my birthday). If I didn't take this date, the next available could be months away and I wasn't really willing to take that risk. Things are starting to feel a little more real now that it's all locked in so the countdown is on and I plan on making the most out of my final days with a stomach. 

The good news is that it's after my birthday and I'll still be able to celebrate and go on the wine tour I already have locked in. I also have my gig next week for Seb's 100 Thing event which I'm really looking forward to. Plus, given my surgery is the following day, my Dad is flying over for my birthday and it's been a few years since I've seen any family around on my birthday. 

The bad news is that I had tickets to see Eminem on the 19th which I've had to sell (and have managed to fairly quickly). But I have other things I'm planning later in the year that are more important to me and give me a reason to recover quickly so, although it's a shock, having my surgery so soon could help in making 2014 my best year yet. 

Most importantly, if I'm ever allowed to put on weight and eat whatever I want, now is the time! First stop after my appointment and making a few phone calls was Gelato Messina for some delicious ice cream. Second stop, an Italian place around the corner for some pasta for dinner. As you can see from the pictures below, I do love my food (sorry for all the ice cream pics..). Bring on the next 12 days! :)











4 comments:

  1. Hi Kate-- I stumbled on your blog from Marne's "Life Without a Stomach" and just wanted to offer you some encouragement as you move forward with your surgery. I am 25 and just under 2 months ago I underwent a total gastrectomy and am steadily getting back to normal. The biggest help to me in my recovery was reading others' experiences and gaining insights on what worked or didn't work for them, and trying those things myself. I hope you enjoy last days with a stomach and be sure to indulge in those favorite foods! I am back to eating almost everything I ate before surgery, just in much smaller quantities, so you won't be without those favorites forever! If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch-- my blog is rachelwkinney.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, thanks so much for your comment and getting in touch with me. It's really reassuring to hear from somebody in the same position who has recently had the surgery and great news that you're going so well after a short period of time. I'll definitely check out your blog.. And don't worry I've been eating plenty of treats haha. Kate

      Delete
  2. Hey Kate,
    I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming surgery. I am awaiting a surgical date myself. I found your blog off of Marne's site as well. I am also a CDH1 mutation carrier and they just found 2 microfoci of adenocarcinoma in my stomach. If I have a date soon, we may be able to compare notes..haha. We aren't alone out there. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, great to hear from you!! Wow that must be pretty scary for you that they have found that.. but fingers crossed they'll get you in very soon. We will definitely have to compare notes :) It did feel like I was alone to begin with but it's so nice to hear from other people in my position. All the best and I hope you have a date for surgery soon

      Delete