Sunday, 16 March 2014

Week 4 - Progress and Frustration

As I get to the end of week 4, I can look back and be really proud of the progress I've made so far. I got the exciting news on Wednesday that I was able to move from pureed foods to soft foods. I immediately came home and cooked up a big bowl of pasta. I could only have tiny serves at a time but I couldn't have been happier to be eating normal food again. 


I've also managed to maintain my weight over the past week or so and have lost about 7kg total since my surgery which isn't so bad over a 4 week period (a little over 10% of my weight which was to be expected). My scars are healing really well and are barely noticeable already. 


I've also been doing a little bit more over the past couple of weeks. I went to a friends place for dinner last week, went out for ice cream and went to the movies again. These might sound insignificant to anyone else but for somebody just sitting at home recovering, these are the things I look forward to the most. I get fairly tired after my little adventures but I'm hoping that doing more each week means that I'm slowly getting back to my "normal" self. 

Frustrations
I have been really positive about everything to date and don't get me wrong; I'm grateful at the chance I've been given and am very happy within myself in how I've been going. However, I have started to feel a little frustrated at times.

I am someone who would normally exercise regularly and as I'm still healing, there isn't a whole lot I can do at the moment on this front. I went for a walk today and got about 200m down the road and had to come home as it tired me out. I think not being able to exercise isn't helping my sense of going a bit stir crazy. This is helped though by having friends come to visit regularly and getting me out of the house every couple of days.

Last night I had some ice cream at the movies and felt incredibly ill for the entire movie. I probably would've gone home except I wanted to see the movie and didn't feel as though I could drive in the state I was in. I managed to make it to the end of the movie and drive home but still felt really nauseous. I'd experienced what the doctors like to refer to as "dumping syndrome" (nothing to do with me going to the toilet as the name might suggest and my friends like to joke about). Basically I either ate too fast or ate too much and my body couldn't handle it. I was then in pain and felt horribly uncomfortable for an hour or so until feeling nauseous. I do have tablets to help with this and have now learned that I must carry them on me at all times. 

The frustrating this with this is knowing when to stop. I have to be really careful with how much I eat and what I eat and it's a learning process to know how my body will react. It's just difficult to have to go through such an ordeal to get to these answers. 

Finally, after 3 weeks at home and 4 away from work, I'm starting to get bored with everything that I'm doing. I sound like a child saying this but there are only so many episodes of tv shows to watch and only so long I can read a book before nothing seems appealing anymore and all I want to do is go out and do something. Unluckily for me, I don't have the energy to get out and do much. 

On the bright side, I have a lot to look forward to in the next few months and I'm sure that in a months time I'll look back and be happy again with how far I've come. I also have some very exciting plans in the pipelines that I can't wait to share in the near future. 




9 comments:

  1. Good luck Kate. My husband had a major Bowel operation and it was tuff for the first 6 months, But then everything got better and we have been overseas twice and are planning to go again in Sept. I wish you all the best..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the message and it's great to hear your husband is going well now. It's always good to hear others' positive stories :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate, you're coming along pretty good and have a good attitude to it all. The dumping syndrome...great isn't it! What tablets are you taking for that? Even after 30 odd years l still overeat at times and suffer for a short time, curse myself that it will never happen again, but it always does! Just a big learning curve for you, as it is for anyone in our situation. Keep up the good work and go easy on the icecream. Cheers, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff :) I just have some anti-nausea tablets.. can't even recall what they are to be honest. They seem to help though.. just make me really tired in the process. Aaaah well looks like I'll probably always have issues with it. It is really frustrating! I think sugar is the worst for it through from what I've discovered so far. Thanks for the message! Kate

      Delete
  3. You can do it. Go kate!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFS5qlAzgc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate you are doing so well keep it up. I'm so pleased you are finally eating real food puréed food is a bit boring. I hope you've ditched the resource by now as well. About the ice cream you might like to try Bulla I usually make my smoothie at night with this. Ive found I get dumping with other brands. It really is trial and error but you are on the right track. I must say your tummy looks great! Wish I had mine done by keyhole instead of an upside down V. Really though at my age it doesn't matter my bikini days are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merran :) It is so good to be able to have real food!! Was definitely getting over the puree diet that's for sure. I've given up on the resource.. just couldn't do it anymore. Thanks for the tip! I'm very lucky i was able to have keyhole.. but at the end of the day I would've been ok with the scars if they were bigger and it meant a longer life! Hope you're well also. Kate

      Delete
  5. So interesting.

    I googled "making progress but frustrated" and your blog came up. I am going through my own personal battle. Things are so much better than they where and I can really see progress but for some reason I was still frustrated and was trying to find out why.

    I guess we all need to recharge sometimes and accept that progress is happening but not always as fast as we'd like it. If I know anything from the past, it's that this too shall pass and I won't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well I didn't even realise my blog came up in google searches so that is interesting to know.

      I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through a rough time also. It is really hard when you're seeing progress but it's not happening as quickly as you'd hoped. I'm much better now than when I wrote this post a few weeks ago but now and then, I still get frustrated that I'm not completely "normal" and can't do everything I used to do. But everything does pass and even if I don't get back to normal, I'm starting to accept a different type of normal which I'm getting more and more used to every day. I'm sure you will be the same. All the best :)

      Delete