Monday, 8 December 2014

It's all about the small things


Life After The Trip of a Lifetime

One thing I hadn't considered before heading away on my 4 month adventure was how I would feel when I returned home. I had a vague idea that I would get my travels out of my system and be happy to settle down and return to normal life. Anyone who has ever traveled would have been able to tell me that this certainly wouldn't be the case. I arrived home feeling a little bit lost and out of place. I didn't know what to do with myself. After my first day home, I wanted nothing more than to be in a hostel room with 8 other people or drinking terrible drinks at terrible bars on hostel pub crawls. This had become my new normal and being home felt completely foreign. So I was faced with a new challenge - how does one overcome the post traveling blues?



This wasn't such a simple question to answer. The trip that I'd been hoping to have my entire life was over. It was the idea of this trip got me through the hardest time in my life. So what next?

Work
To ensure I continue to stay positive (at least most of time) and to avoid wandering down a path of complete misery and self pity, I made the conscious decision to shift my focus.  Firstly, this focus was to be on my new job. I must admit, I couldn't have stumbled across a better place to work. I have a team of really great people and after only being there a month, I'm joining the rest of the company in the Blue Mountains at the end of this week for our Christmas conference which also happens to include white water rafting and hiking. Oh, and the actual work side of things is going really well also.

Vacations & Getaways
After deciding I really like my job, I also realised that I probably won't be able to quit and go overseas for months at a time again anytime soon. It's not everyday you find a job you love. Instead, I've decided I'll try doing what the majority of the population does, and take smaller holidays. My current plan for my next adventures include a week at a time in both New Zealand and Vietnam and possibly finishing off the year with a white Christmas (location yet to be determined). Being someone who is terrible at committing to something too far in advance, these plans could change dramatically on a weekly basis. However, with these small goals in mind, I'll still have adventures to look forward to and will continue to tick items from my bucket list (which has grown considerably since traveling and finding so many other places I need to go).

I'll also be heading home to Tasmania for Christmas to see my family who I haven't seen in about 6 months which is something to look forward to in itself. My Tassie trip will be followed by a little beach getaway for New Year's with some friends to make the most of what will hopefully be a nice summer.



Music, music and more music
In addition to planning little getaways, I've decided one of the most important things for me to do at the moment is to enjoy the small things in life. Other than traveling, my favourite thing in the world would have to be live music. I've been going to festivals since the ripe old age of 14 and have forever since been in love with everything about seeing my favourite artists live. I've got quite a few concerts to look forward to already in the New Year (thanks to a few of my friends for being more organised than me in most instances) - The Temper Trap, Chet Faker and Alt-J (who I have been dying to see for ages!).



Fitness
To try and get back into some sort of fitness routine, I've also joined a yoga school with my new work friend Brooke. This is not just any kind of yoga school; we are learning to do aerial yoga. For those of you who don't know what this entails, think along the lines of Cirque du Soleil or trapeze artists. Ok, maybe not quite so fancy...but we do hang upside down on pieces of silk.

Food
On the theme of appreciating the small things, I am happy to say that stomach or no stomach, I'm sure doing my fair share of appreciating good food. Night Noodle Markets, delicious Vietnamese food, meatballs.. Melbourne really is the place to be when you love food.



Love is in the air
Lastly, but certainly least, two of my best friends and current housemates, Kristy and Joe (who you may remember from their massive 60km walk earlier this year), were very happy announce their engagement over the weekend. I could not be happier for them.



This year is well and truly turning out to be one of the best yet.

As always, thanks for reading.

Bucket List
For anyone interested in an updated bucket list, here you go! (Pictures of each item on my list to be updated ASAP).


  1. Backpack around Europe - DONE
  2. Greek Islands - DONE
  3. Paris - DONE
  4. See a show at the Moulin Rouge - DONE
  5. Nice & South of France
  6. Rome - DONE
  7. Venice - DONE
  8. Gondola ride in Venice
  9. Milan - DONE
  10. Amalfi Coast, Italy
  11. Amsterdam - DONE
  12. London - DONE
  13. Barcelona - DONE
  14. Valencia
  15. San Sebastian
  16. Grenada
  17. Seville
  18. Berlin - DONE
  19. Florence - DONE
  20. Istanbul
  21. Hot air ballooning in Cappadocia 
  22. Budapest - DONE
  23. Prague - DONE
  24. Stockholm
  25. Lagos - DONE
  26. Dubrovnik 
  27. Hvar
  28. Toronto - DONE
  29. Montreal
  30. Vancouver
  31. Euro Disney - DONE
  32. Sail Croatia - DONE
  33. Tomorrowland - DONE
  34. Oktoberfest - DONE
  35. Sziget Festival, Budapest - DONE
  36. New York - DONE
  37. See a musical on Broadway - DONE
  38. Stand in Times Square - DONE
  39. Miami
  40. New Orleans
  41. Chicago
  42. Austin, Texas
  43. Disneyworld, Florida (yes I am a child at heart)
  44. Go to a concert at Red Rocks
  45. Niagra Falls - DONE
  46. Mexico
  47. Rio
  48. Cuba
  49. Japan
  50. Vietnam
  51. Bali
  52. Capetown
  53. New Zealand
  54. Interstate road trip with a friend - DONE
  55. Bondi Beach - DONE
  56. See the rest of Australia
  57. Go on a winery tour - DONE
  58. Learn to ski or snowboard
  59. Go paint-balling - DONE
  60. Eat Gelato Messina - DONE
  61. Have a massive food party before my operation - DONE
  62. Play a gig to raise money for cancer research
  63. Sky dive
  64. Go ice skating 
  65. Go to Bounce (the room full of trampolines)
  66. See Pearl Jam live
  67. See Alt-J live
  68. See Coldplay live
  69. See Avicii live - DONE!
  70. See a really famous pop star live
  71. Road trip from East to West Coast (or vice versa) of America
  72. Experience a white Christmas
  73. See the Northern Lights
  74. Fall in love and get married


No comments:

Post a Comment