Sunday, 19 April 2015

The Incurable Travel Bug

This time last year, I was about 2 months post op, had booked my flights to Europe and was in the process of planning the trip I'd been wanting to take for years. It's reached that time of year when others are starting to plan mid year trips away to escape the cold and chase the sunshine in far away places. It's fair to say I'm just a tiny bit jealous. After moving in to my own (rented) apartment and still paying off my Eurotrip credit card from last year, my next overseas trip could not seem further out of reach. 

For the first time since moving to Melbourne just over 3 years ago, things in my life are what I can only refer to as "stable". About 6 months after moving, my sister was diagnosed with her illness so my first year in Melbourne involved flights home every couple of weeks and then of course, trying to deal with the tragedy that followed. The 12 months that followed were a little bit of an emotional roller-coaster and then I received the news of my genetic situation and my looming operation. Across these 2 years, the unexpected had become a huge part of my life and "live in the moment" had more meaning than in ever had before. 

In the 12 months that followed, I had my surgery, recovered, quit my job, traveled the world, returned and started a new job, moved to a new area in my new apartment and things could not have been more different. It's now been a few months since things have settled down and I really should just be enjoying normality and routine. I'm not sure if it's because normality has now become something so foreign to me, or if I've just caught the infamous travel bug, but I've found myself itching for my next adventure and forever coming up with ideas of "what next". I love my job and my new place but I've found that without some sort of plan, or something big to look forward to, I start to become a little unmotivated and for lack of a better word; bored. To make up for not having a trip planned, I've been constantly keeping myself busy by going out for brunch, dinner, drinks etc. In the process I've been spending all of the money I could potentially be saving for my next big trip. So I've decided to make some changes and put a plan in place. 

Coachella 2016
As somebody who has always loved live music and festivals, Coachella has always been a dream of mine. Even more so after seeing all of the photos and videos from the last couple of weekends. After Sziget and Tomorrowland in Europe, it's time to tick another festival off my list so I figured, why not next year? I mentioned it to my friend Shannon who was just as keen and just like that, my next plan is in place! While we're at it, we figured we might as well check out a few places in the US and possibly even go on a road trip. After a huge stuff up with my flights to London last year, I have a $700 United Airlines voucher I have to use anyway. So things couldn't have made more sense!

I may have also been convinced to head to Splendour in the Grass in Byron Bay later this year (pending leave approval at work). This will definitely involve a strict savings plan and a lot more nights on my couch.. but 2 big festivals within 12 months is something I just don't think I can turn down!


Staying local..
Heading to Splendour in the Grass will mean I get to check out Byron Bay which is on my list of local places in Australia I'm yet to visit. After Europe I decided I should visit  more places in my own Country given most people I'd met traveling who had visited Australia had seen more of my own backyard than I had. One thing that I've decided I can do on my own over a weekend is to take a trip down the Great Ocean Road to see the 12 Apostles and the towns that cross my path along the way. 

This year, my friends and I also decided we should do a few girls weekends away. We don't necessarily go to places we've never been before but it's a good a reason to  escape the city and explore other parts of Melbourne. Our first little trip was to a lovely little house in Ocean Grove just a short walk from the beach and given it's starting to get a little colder, I decided what better place to spend our next trip than to check out the hot springs in Sorrento. 



With a few more girls weekends away, potentially Splendour in the Grass and Coachella 2016, I have plenty to look forward to and to be excited about. Bring on the next 12 months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment